Those who teach your classes desire that you learn. They want you to learn essential information from their area of expertise, develop some of the skills they have mastered, and acquire informed perspectives. Using various teaching techniques, your professor seeks to promote your learning and success. They seek to guide you, motivate you, and outline for you the body of knowledge to be learned. The college professor “teaches,” but only you can learn. Knowing what faculty members expect of you may help you maximize your learning opportunities.
- Be informed about instructor’s policies, which are presented in the course syllabus, as well as the policies of the Georgia State University on campus: Student Handbook.
- Attend all classes, except when emergencies arise. If health and weather allow, your instructor will be present and on time for every scheduled class meeting. So should you.
- Be an active participant in class, taking notes, asking appropriate questions. Your involvement will benefit you and your classmates.
- Treat the instructor and fellow students with courtesy. Refrain from any behaviors that may distract others. You expect to be treated with tolerance and respect. You expect a learning environment free of unnecessary distractions. So does everyone else.
- Cultivate effective study strategies. Being an effective student is not instinctive. Use your study time wisely. Seek help from the instructor when you need it. Avail yourself of resources provided by the university.
- Study course material routinely after each meeting. Study according to a regular schedule. Avoid “cramming.” Do not postpone working on assignments. Submit finished assignments on time.
- Accept the challenge of collegiate studying, thinking, and learning. Anticipate that the level and quantity of work in some courses will exceed your prior experiences. If you have significant responsibilities besides your studies, such as work and family, set realistic academic goals and schedules for yourself. Select an academic load whose work demands do not exceed your available time and energy.
- Let no temptation cause you to surrender your integrity.